“Depart ye, depart ye, go ye out from thence, touch no unclean thing; go out ye of the midst of her; be ye clean, that bear the vessels of the LORD.”(Isaiah 52:11)
“Cyrus decreed the vessels Babylon stole from Jerusalem be returned.” (Ezra 6:5, Daniel 1:2, Apostolic Study Bible). When I read the phrase, “vessels Babylon stole from Jerusalem” my heartstrings perked up. I thought of the prodigals that satan has stolen by taking them captive. I felt called to prayer for them to be released from captivity!
In the Old Testament, Daniel was a sanctified prayer warrior that prayed for the exiles to be returned to Babylon. The stolen vessels that were set aside to be used in the temple were returned as well. In the New Testament people are the chosen vessels of honor, housing the treasure of the Holy Ghost. Following the example of the Old Testament, sanctified vessels of honor in the New Testament are given the charge to pray for the “stolen vessels”, backsliders/prodigals to be freed from the captivity.
“But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonor. If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master’s use, and prepared unto every good work.
“And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.” II Timothy 2:20-21, 24-26
A call to pray:
- Pray for sanctified, vessels of honor (prayer warriors) to rise to occasion to intercede for the backsliders/prodigals.
- Pray that servants of the Lord will be equipped with gentleness, teaching ability, patience and meekness to instruct those that oppose themselves.
- Pray for those that oppose themselves to “come to themselves”, just as the prodigal son did, realizing that they can return to their Father’s house. Lord, cause them to envision your steadfast love and mercy welcoming them back.
- Pray that Jesus will cause the backsliders/prodigals to repent to the extent that they acknowledge the truth, and return to a right relationship with Him.
- Pray that a surge of hope in the power of the Holy Ghost will cause them to recover themselves out the snare of the devil who has taken them captive. Pray they will make the choice to submit to the Lord; and resist the devil, causing him to flee.
- Praise and thank Jesus for the returned vessels (backsliders/prodigals).
Rocky Mount District