There are many prodigals (backsliders) that have been raised to know the truths of God’s Word. Prodigals are found in all walks of life and circumstances. Not only are they in our workplaces and even in our churches, some are in far worse places including prisons, mental hospitals, and on the street, etc. It has been said, “sin will take you further than you want to go and keep you longer than you want to stay.”
God is “married” to the backslider. He declares it in Jeremiah 3:14, “Turn, O backsliding children, saith the Lord; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion.”
We must reach for these prodigals through prayer. God values them. He wants to rescue, restore, and save those that have been shipwrecked. He sees the value of their soul and so should we. Time is running out!
Suggestions on how to focus on prodigals:
- Make a prayer album with photos of prodigals. If photos are not available, write their name in the album. Write at least one promise from the Word of God below their picture and pray those promises over them daily.
- Ask your prayer team or prayer partner to pray with you daily for them.
- Fast one day a week for them.
- Obtain a spiral book of index cards. Write a prodigal’s name on each card and use these cards to remind you to pray for them throughout your day.
Praying for the Prodigal:
- Pray God will wake up the spiritually sleeping prodigal and place a deep hunger within their hearts to return to their first love which is Jesus.
- Pray prodigals come to Jesus in true repentance.
- Pray prodigals will come to themselves and realize that “today is the day of salvation.
- Pray God will pick up the broken vessels, place them on the potter’s wheel and make them into what He wants them to be.
- Pray prodigals will feel and accept the mercy and grace of the Almighty God.
- Pray God gives each prodigal a deep desire and determination to live for Him regardless of circumstance.
- Pray prodigals will have the ability to forgive themselves for walking away from God and any sin they may have committed while away from Him.
- Pray God’s People will accept His prodigals back with open arms, love, prayer, and encouragement.
- Pray God’s Prodigals will be restored to Him and be refilled with the Holy Ghost.
South Texas District Prayer Coordinator