The prayer coordinator is a member of the church who organizes, schedules, and provides general leadership for the church’s prayer activities. Together with the pastor, the prayer coordinator gives energy and direction to the church’s prayer organization.
Appointing and publicly recognizing a prayer coordinator is vital for any church that wants to establish a separate prayer ministry.
Appointing a coordinator:
- signals to the church that prayer is important
- brings attention to the ministry
- ensures that the ministry will not fade or be forgotten
- provides a way to recruit ministry participants and to encourage greater participation in prayer
The responsibilities of the prayer coordinator are determined by the pastor and/or his designee. The following are some responsibilities that the prayer coordinator may fill, initiate, or oversee:
- Identifies key people in the church who will are willing to pray or serve in leadership in the prayer ministry and enlists their support.
- Establishes a strategic prayer committee and serves as chairman of the committee. (The leadership responsibilities of the prayer ministry are divided among the members of the prayer committee.)
- Serves as a liaison between the pastor and church leadership and the prayer committee.
- Assists the pastoral staff in raising up their personal intercessory prayer support teams.
- Works with prayer committee and church leadership to establish prayer for the corporate services.
- Works with the pastor and prayer committee in developing a mission statement for the prayer ministry and prayer strategy for the church.
- Assists with the development of a prayer chain.
- Establishes a resource library on prayer.
- Works with Sunday school teachers and small group leaders to provide training, materials, and resources for their prayer curriculum.
- Helps plan and organize special prayer events in the church (i.e. prayer conferences, workshops, National Day of Prayer, etc.).
- Helps raise up and train prayer leaders who can establish and lead small group prayer.
- Works with prayer committee and church leadership to set up a prayer room in the church.
- Develops an information network to keep everyone informed of prayer concerns.
- Serves as a liaison between his/her local church and the other churches of the city in cooperative prayer efforts.